Professor Noob's Daily Disquisitions

Sunday, May 3, 2009

My last day, which was a day for the celebration of my students' heritage, was a whirlwind of crafts and activities - thanks to Perfect Mentor and myself. Since there were more activities than student groups, not everyone got to do everything, and our little group of students had originally been scheduled to attend only sit-down lectures on such vastly entertaining topics as Mineral Rights. One of the girls almost cried as she was forced to watch possibly the most boring PowerPoint presentation possible on the degrees required to become a Forest Ranger. So Mentor and I outright skipped some of our original activities in favor of Hand Games and Horseback Riding. Much more fun.

One aspect of this event persistently irritated me: the sexism.

I know it's traditional. I know that it's an important part of my students' culture. I know that girls have their own special games and duties as well. But that does not stop my petulant inner privileged-white-feminist voice from seething, "What do you mean I can't touch the drums? Or throw arrows? Goddammit, I don't wanna bead fucking earrings instead, you chauvinist %**$&!"

I just don't come from a culture where such a blatant division of the sexes is acceptable. I'm not used to having to listen to a male student "play" the drums so badly that my palm is actually itching to snatch the stick away from him while all my female students sit silently on the couches and watch.

Am I accustomed to having my gender be used against me in subtle yet horribly detrimental ways? Yes. Have I ever heard someone actually say, "No, girls aren't allowed to do____?" No. Because that someone would get their ass sued, that's why. It's just Not Allowed. We (white mainstream Americans) are not less sexist, just less obvious.

Nevertheless, it still pisses me off to run up against such a bald-faced, outright glorified wall of difference between the sexes. In fact, I think I would have been less offended if they'd said I couldn't do something because I am white. I'm not sure what that says about me, the system, or this tribe.

Oh, and for the record: boys were allowed to bead earrings, too.
posted by Professor Noob at 3:14 PM

1 Comments:

Tribal societies needed that division of labor for survival reasons - now it's just internalized cultural bullshit. Fight the power!

May 3, 2009 at 9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home